A family of about 8 related varieties, one of Italy’s oldest. Primary family members:
- Lambrusco di Sorbara: Light bodied, high in acidity. Aromas & flavors: Violet, red currant, strawberry.
- Lambrusco Grasparossa (di Castelvetro): Full bodied, tannic. Aromas & flavors: Ripe black cherry, dark plum, sometimes almond.
- Lambrusco Maestri: Aromas & flavors: Plum, black cherry, chocolate, violet, bubblegum.
- Lambrusco Marani: Tannic. Aromas & flavors: Violet, iris, peony, black currant, red cherry.
- Lambrusco Salamino: Midway between Grasparossa and Sorbara; moderately tannic. Aromas & flavors: Violet, rose, red berries.
- Lambrusco Viadanese: Aka Lambrusco Mantovano.