Grignolino del Monferrato Casalese DOC
History: Established as a DOC in 1974
Vineyard Area: 103 ha / 254 acres (2019)
Production: 3,760 hl / 41,800 cases (5-year average)
Principal Red Grape Varieties:
Styles and Wine Composition
- Rosso (Rd): Minimum 95% Grignolino; maximum 5% Barbera and/or Freisa
- Riserva (Rosso)
Significant Production Rules
- Minimum alcohol level: 12.0%; 12.5% for Riserva
- Aging: For Riserva, minimum 30 months, including 18 months in barrel (ERD = May 1, V+3)
Last Disciplinare Modification:
- The word “del” is optional on the label, so it may appear as Grignolino Monferrato Casalese.
- Prior to 2021, the minimum proportion of Grignolino was 90%.