"White" grapes can range in color from yellow to green to light pink when ripe. The wine made from them is called white wine, even though it is never actually white but rather transparent with more or less yellow coloration, sometimes with a greenish tinge. With age or oak contact, white wines become more amber to brown.
- Greco: Campanian variety. Wines are full bodied, oily, tannic; deep yellow. Ageworthy. Aromas & flavors: Yellow flowers, honey, peach, pear, tropical fruit. Best DOP: Greco di Tufo DOCG.
- Greco Bianco: Calabrian variety; biotype of Malvasia di Lipari. Best DOP: Greco di Bianco DOC.
- Malvasia Bianca di Candia: Most-planted Malvasia. Light bodied; high in acidity. Aromas & flavors: White flowers, citrus, green or yellow apple, herbs.
- Malvasia Bianca Lunga: Primary ingredient (with or without Trebbiano Toscano) in vin santo. Low acidity.
- Malvasia del Lazio: Aka Malvasia Puntinata; a crossing of Zibibbo and Schiava Grossa. Highest-quality Malvasia. Aromas & flavors: Yellow fruit (peach, mango, banana, passionfruit), sage. Best DOP: Frascati DOC/G.
- Malvasia di Candia Aromatica: High-quality variety, especially for sweet wines. Aromas & flavors: Aromatic; tropical fruit and spice. Best DOPs: Colli di Parma DOC, Colli Piacentini DOC.
- Malvasia di Lipari: Genetically same as Calabria’s Greco Bianco. Primarily used for passito wines. Aromas & flavors: Peach, apricot, honey, orange. Best DOP: Malvasia delle Lipari DOC.
- Malvasia Istriana: Often used for “orange wines.” Minerally. Aromas & flavors: Peach, apricot, pear, wisteria, (with age) diesel. Best DOPs: Carso DOC, Collio DOC, Friuli Isonzo DOC.
- Trebbiano Abruzzese: The highest-quality Trebbiano (apart from the ones that are actually Verdicchio). High acidity. Aromas & flavors: White flowers, peach, citrus.
- Trebbiano Toscano: The most planted type of Trebbiano. Same as Ugni Blanc, the grape of Cognac in France. High in acidity. Aromas & flavors: Generally neutral; can be delicately herbal and lemony.
- Vernaccia di Oristano: Sardinian variety. Aromas & flavors: Apricot, hazelnut, almond, white chocolate, herbs. Best DOP: Vernaccia di Oristano DOC.
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano: Tuscan variety. Aromas & flavors: Relatively neutral. Best DOP: Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG.