Discovering Italian Wine™
Discovering Italian Wine™ is the perfect introductory course for those just getting started on their wine journey or those who are expanding out of their comfort zone (California, France, etc.). This self-paced, online course will walk the learner through the complex world of Italian wines. The course comes complete with online visuals, exercises, and an optional final exam to test your new knowledge. No prior experience of Italian wines is required. (That’s why it’s called “Discovering”!) However, learners should be familiar with common wine terms and concepts from previous experience or a general wine course.
Approximate hours to complete: 8
Access to the course:
- Within 2–3 business days of registering, you will receive an email with instructions as well as your UserID and password.
- You will have access to the course and the opportunity to take the optional final exam for three months after registration.
- Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive a Certificate of Completion suitable for framing.
Course cost: $125REGISTER NOW!
Registrations and payments fulfilled securely by associationdatabase.com
Consider giving this course as a gift to an Italian wine enthusiast. Click here for more information.
To inquire about volume discounts and corporate rates for Discovering Italian Wine, contact [email protected]
Below are some frequently asked questions about the Discovering Italian Wine™ course.
- Who should take this course?
- What topics does the course cover?
- Is there a book with the course?
- Is there any wine tasting involved?
- What is the final exam like and what do students receive if they pass?
Who should take this course?
Discovering Italian Wine is ideal for anyone in retail and restaurant wine service or distribution and sales. It is also a perfect primer for wine aficionados who want to learn about the culture of Italian wine.
This course is highly recommended for students and professionals pursuing:
- the Court of Master Sommeliers (CMS) program between the introductory and certified levels
- the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) program between levels II and III
- the Society of Wine Educators (SWE) program before attempting the CSW
Of course, for anyone specializing in Italian wine, this course is a natural lead-in to the Italian Wine Professional (IWP) certification.
What topics does the course cover?
Discovering Italian Wine is a fun, pressure-free course that introduces the learner to the most prominent Italian wines and grape varieties. Each of the seven lessons presents a manageable amount of relevant information about Italian wines that are important in export markets. The lessons are:
- Setting the Stage
- 11 Key Italian Red Grape Varieties
- 11 Key Italian White Grape Varieties
- 11 Wines Named After Grape Varieties
- 11 Red Wines Named After Places
- 11 White, Pink, Sparkling, and Dessert Wines Named After Places
- 11 Places That Make Multiple Styles of Wine
Each lesson includes images, maps, pronunciation practice, and interactive exercises to help learners get acquainted with Italian wines.
Is there a book with the course?
The course is entirely online, so learners are encouraged to take notes as they go through the course. Discovering Italian Wine students often find it useful to purchase Into Italian Wine, the study guide used by those pursuing the Italian Wine Professional (IWP) certification. Into Italian Wine is an easy-to-read yet comprehensive book that can provide additional breadth and context for this course, including insights into Italian language, culture, and food.
Is there any wine tasting involved?
Tasting Italian wines during the course is a great way to get the full measure of the course material, but it is not required.
What is the final exam like and what do students receive if they pass?
At the end of the course, there is an optional final exam included with the purchase of the course. The test is 30 questions long, with a variety of question types. A practice exam is available after the last lesson to help prepare for the actual exam. Learners who pass the exam will be sent a printable Certificate of Completion. Passing status is the equivalent to scoring 75% or higher.
Most importantly, after completing Discovering Italian Wine, you will be more knowledgeable about Italian wine. Those who work at restaurants or in wine sales will likely see immediate results in their ability to sell more and better Italian wine, and consumers will be more comfortable with shopping for and ultimately get more enjoyment from purchasing Italian wines.