"White" grapes can range in color from yellow to green to light pink when ripe. The wine made from them is called white wine, even though it is never actually white but rather transparent with more or less yellow coloration, sometimes with a greenish tinge. With age or oak contact, white wines become more amber to brown.
- Greco Bianco: Calabrian variety; reportedly same as Malvasia di Lipari. Best DOP: Greco di Bianco.
- Greco: Campanian variety. Wines are full bodied, oily, tannic; deep yellow. Ageworthy. Aromas & flavors: Yellow flowers, honey, peach, pear, tropical fruit. Best DOP: Greco di Tufo.
- Malvasia Bianca di Candia: Most-planted Malvasia. Light bodied; high in acidity. Aromas & flavors: White flowers, citrus, green or yellow apple, herbs.
- Malvasia Bianca Lunga: Primary ingredient (with or without Trebbiano Toscano) in vin santo. Low acidity.
- Malvasia del Lazio: Aka Malvasia Puntinata. Highest-quality Malvasia. Aromas & flavors: Yellow fruit (peach, mango, banana, passionfruit), sage. Best DOP: Frascati DOC/G. Crossing of Zibibbo and Schiava Grossa.
- Malvasia di Candia Aromatica: High-quality variety, especially for sweet wines. Aromas & flavors: Aromatic; tropical fruit and spice. Best DOPs: Colli Piacentini DOC, Colli di Parma DOC.
- Malvasia di Lipari: Primarily used for passito wines. Aromas & flavors: Peach, apricot, honey, orange. Best DOP: Malvasia delle Lipari DOC. Genetically same as Greco Bianco (of Calabria).
- Malvasia Istriana: Often used for “orange wines.” Minerally. Aromas & flavors: Peach, apricot, pear, wisteria, (with age) diesel. Best DOPs: Carso DOC, Collio DOC, Friuli Isonzo DOC.
- Trebbiano Abruzzese: The highest-quality Trebbiano (not counting the ones that are actually Verdicchio). High acidity. Aromas & flavors: White flowers, peach, citrus.
- Trebbiano Toscano: The most-planted Trebbiano. Same as Ugni Blanc, the grape of Cognac. High in acidity. Aromas & flavors: Generally neutral; can be delicately herbal and lemony.
- Vernaccia di Oristano: Sardinian variety. Aromas & flavors: Apricot, hazelnut, almond, white chocolate, herbs. Best DOP: Vernaccia di Oristano DOC.
- Vernaccia di San Gimignano: Tuscan variety. Aromas & flavors: Relatively neutral. Best DOP: Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG.